Friday, February 1, 2013

I Smiled The Entire Time I Wrote This. :)


Awesome! That's exactly how I feel, it's two days later and I still feel pretty darn awesome. Life is awesome, air is awesome, I feel awesome!! On Wednesday night I earned my first stripe towards my 2nd Brown Belt. The first 12 techniques of 2nd Brown Belt I have DOWN! I have been on Cloud Nine ever since.

So when Gene and I decided to open our own school in 2011 I asked Gene to teach me everything again. I asked him to do this because I didn't feel like I deserved to wear the rank of 3rd Brown Belt. The week after I earned my 3rd Brown Belt I attended a seminar weekend with Mr. Rich Hale and Mr. Brian Duffy. And Mr. Hale taught us about principles found within the system. This was the first time that I had ever really been exposed to principles. I'd never heard terms such as Marriage of Gravity, Economy of Motion, etc. in such detail. I felt absolutely awful. I never felt more undeserving as I did on the ride home from Oklahoma that weekend. That was in May of 2011; and I wasn't sure what to do about my dilemma, or the ever growing guilt in the pit of my stomach.
In August, Gene and I decided to open our own school. And that was when I ask him to start me over at Yellow Belt. So, for twenty two months we worked on everything. Yellow Belt and up. I'm no where near perfect, but I'm much better than I was 2 years ago. I know I deserve the rank that I wear now, and that feels fantastic!

I went through a serious period where I wanted to quit, I was very discouraged and I'll admit it was hard. It was harder than I thought it would be, to relearn techniques and do them by the book. I had never been conscious about the lower platform before; checking with the legs is still something that I struggle with. I'm really glad that I stuck through it though. I have that fire burning again, I know it sounds weird but I love that I can hit people again, and even better they can hit me. There's something very depressing about training in a martial art and going a period of time where you can't really make and receive contact with anyone. I can't wait to be in the school, I've always loved being there, we have so many wonderful students and parents it would be hard not to want to be there all the time. But I want to be there for me as well now. I am just itching to get back onto the mat and learn every class. We have an amazing school with nearly 50 students, I'm coming along in my training, as is Gene in his, and life is genuinely wonderful.

***If you're reading this because of the misunderstanding that occurred when Mr. Bundy read this post please also read this blog post here http://kenpodoll.blogspot.com/2013/03/fixing-it.html?m=1 so it will hopefully clear up any misunderstandings you may have as well. Thank you for stopping by my blog!***



No comments:

Post a Comment