Tuesday, January 15, 2013

2013 Is Looking Fabulous


We're only halfway into January and 2013 is already looking fabulous for Scholar and Warrior Kenpo Academy. Our school has nearly quadrupled the number of students that it had this time last year and we couldn't be more excited. It's such a blessing to be doing something that you love; but I think it's an even greater blessing when it turns into something that other people love too.

Last night I was speaking with one of our adult students after class, and our conversation that we shared brought me to tears. Happy tears though, no worries! I knew when Gene and I opened this school that it was always going to be important to us. Whether we had six students or sixty; sharing Mr. Parker's Art was the only thing that was really important to us. I never expected to have our students love the Art, the school, us even as much as they have. Last night our adult student told me that Kenpo saved her, that she's in a place in her life right now where she doesn't have that much going on for her. She has Kenpo though; and she loves it! She told me that when she runs into people that she knows and they ask her what she's been up to the first thing that she says is; "well I'm doing karate now." This particular student and myself attended college together and she thanked me, for encouraging her to come check it out, and she was thankful to Gene too. She wasn't looking for a place where she'd have the crap beaten out of her, she was just looking for a place where she could learn self defense. She said she never felt comfortable doing any sort of physical activity, but that she does here at our school. About then is when the tear or two started falling.

I love hearing things like that, I love when kids say that they had fun in class. I love it when parents bring their kids early because they can't wait to get there. It's such an exciting blessing. I love the incredible group of people that this school has brought into our lives, not just the students, but even the parents. We have some of the most supportive parents ever, they're just wonderful.

I look forward to our family continuing to grow and coming closer and closer together. I look forward to our school getting better and our training getting harder. I look forward to American Kenpo making a positive impact in our lives, our students lives, and our future students lives. I look forward to the bruises, the laughs, the sweat, and the rank that 2013 holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment