Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Our Students Love To Share!

I love, love, love the family aspect that we have at Scholar and Warrior Kenpo Academy. Love it! Can you tell how I feel about it yet; it truly has become this huge loving Kenpo family. Today I had a kid blow me away (for the second time this month;) and she isn't even a student, she's the sister of a student. Chris Henry is one of our little five year olds that joined back in July of 2012. Chris' two siblings, Cody and Kassidy, always come to class with Chris and hang out with Mom while Chris trains.

Two weeks ago Kassidy approached me while I was sitting at my desk arranging some paperwork and said; "Ms. Elliot guess what I know the Kenpo Creed."
I raised my eyebrow a little and said, "Oh do you?"
Kassidy said to me; "Yep I can prove it!" She then slapped her hand down on my desk where I have a photo that Mr. Hale gave me of a Karambit with the Creed printed underneath of it and recited the Kenpo Creed to me flawlessly. When she finished she said; "I read that every time that I come here." Then bounced off to go play with the other kids.
I probably stood there for a good ten seconds gaping at what just happened.

I thought that was the coolest thing but what happened tonight takes the cake! Kassidy came up to me tonight and very shyly tapped me on the arm and said; "Ms. Elliot may I show you something."

This little girl showed me a near perfect Blocking Set One!! I was so excited I couldn't believe it. She learned it from working at home with her little brother and watching the classes from the side. It really makes me excited to know that our students are going home and they're practicing on their own, and sharing it with their siblings, and maybe even their friends and that sparks an interest in the kids they're sharing with. I love that our students are just as excited about sharing Kenpo with others as we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment