Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's Not a Race

When I hear people refer to karate as a sport I have to grit my teeth and hold my tongue. Karate is NOT a sport in my opinion. There are multiple reasons for why I feel this way but I'll focus on the one that I consider the most important. It's not a competition.

Now I'm sure some readers are going to jump to, "well we compete in tournaments." I've always seen tournaments as a chance to share your art with others. Giving people that don't practice the same art as you a taste of what you do. The participant who displays the most convincing kata and who utilizes the most effective sparring technique is considered, (according to the tournament's standards), the winner. Tournaments are not competition against each other; it's a display of what each participant holds within.

I've been training in Kenpo for nearly three years and I am well aware that I'm just a baby. I have so much still to learn but all the time in the world to learn it. It's not a race; one of my biggest pet peeves is a martial artist who is rank hungry. Mr. Parker has a very poignant quote pertaining to this issue; "Although belt color may show, it is no proof that you know."

Although you are wearing a belt, whatever color it may be, that does not mean that you completely comprehend what that color and the colors below that have to teach you. This is why i have an issue with rank hungry individuals. There is a difference in knowing the material and understanding it past the physical, the mechanical.

Keep in mind when you're going for your next rank that this is not a competition. Your rank doesn't have a thing to do with your classmates, or your instructor. It's all about you. It's not a race, so there is no "beating others to the finish line" because you are the only one on the track. There is a saying that I've heard several times; "Once you become a Black Belt in Kenpo you begin learning. Everything before Black Belt is just you earning the right to learn,"

Enjoy earning your right!

No comments:

Post a Comment