Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sharing Bruises

Training Partners Within The Weekly Classroom Setting
 
 
This blog is a two point part discussing my opinion on training partners within the classroom and within the seminar setting and why I think they're important and what works for me.
 
 
Having consistent training partners is essential for making techniques actually work. I know I've heard this phrase time and again; "Air Kenpo Sucks!" Nothing feels better when you're training than to be able to take and give some shots with someone else! There are, as with everything, however some positives and negatives to having the same partner all the time.
 
Positives:
  • They know your threshold for pain and are able to respect that with little accidents occurring, likewise you are familiar with theirs.
  • You are aware of how each other's techniques flow, you know how to appropriately attack and react adequately.
  • You recognize progression within each other's personal Journeys and can encourage and assist in personal growth. 
 
Negatives:
  •  You risk the chance of getting so used to working together that you become lax when training together.
  • Having the same partner all the time means that you know how he or she is going to react; this removes some of the reality of training.
  • You begin to share anecdotes during training time.
 
So, my suggestion is, when you have the opportunity try and choose different training partners to use. That way you are training with different belt levels, body masses, and attitudes.
 
 
Training Partners Within The Seminar Setting
 
 
I don't dislike working with other girls, I mean c'mon girls rock! But I will admit it's not what I prefer. I have always rathered working with guys especially in seminars. Why? Because most likely if I'm ever to be physically assaulted it will be an adult male who's a hell of a lot bigger and scarier than me. Let's face it ladies, we're tougher than we think, but for some reason in seminars we tend to gravitate towards each other. I, on the other hand, try to find a higher ranking male than me to work with as my training partner during the seminar. For several reasons;
 
1) It'll be as close to the most realistic training I'll be able to get out of that setting.
 
2) It's someone who's higher ranked than me and often I receive very valuable pointers on how to improve.
 
3) Most of the time it's someone I don't know very well or at all and it opens up the chance for a new friendship.
 
This is just some of how I feel and ways that I try and keep my training fresh and different; I hope you enjoyed it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment